Thursday, November 17, 2005

Laughing about global warming

If you want to be educated and entertained at the same time -- and who doesn't? -- don't miss Larry David's comedy special Earth to America this Sunday night (7pm CST) on TBS. From Salon's preview:

The global warming yuk-fest has an all-star roster, featuring Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Cameron Diaz, Tom Hanks, Steve Martin and Ben Stiller, among many others. Writers from "The Daily Show," "The Simpsons," "King of the Hill" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" conspired to help with the event, which will be staged live at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.


A snippet from Salon's interview with Larry David:

I loved your "Why I Am Marching" post on the StopGlobalWarming.org Web site, where Laurie is organizing a virtual march on Washington to protest climate change.

What it says is: "The virtual march is a perfect opportunity for the lazy man to do something good without having to expend any effort. This thing was made for me."

It seems you've been dragged kicking and screaming -- or at least protesting -- into the role of environmental advocate by your wife. Is it safe to say that you wouldn't be discussing this issue if it weren't for her?

I started out doing this to support my wife, but you'd be surprised: The more you're around a subject, the more it starts sinking in. You can't help it, it's just by osmosis. It's discussed in my house 24 hours a day. So, I'm becoming educated about this issue just by living in this house, as are my kids. And it's become impossible now that I'm educated about it to completely turn my back on it, the way I do about most things.

What are some of your environmental concerns -- or neuroses?

Well, my toilet paper's been changed. That's been a hell of a struggle. Laurie switched brands on me so it doesn't use the virgin trees.

You prefer the fully quilted variety?

Yeah. I'm finding [the other kind] a little rough.


If you're an interested and very lazy activist, you, too, can go to stopglobalwarming.org and add your name to the petition.

But don't change your toilet paper. That seems a little extreme.

1 Comments:

Blogger Superdestroyer said...

I wonder how many homes, planes, cars, and boats are owned by Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Cameron Diaz, Tom Hanks, Steve Martin and Ben Stiller.

These are the last people who should be telling anybody to live in a small house and ride public transportation.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares