Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Courtin' conservatives

I'm very concerned. I'm hoping some of you can help me out, show me where my logic is wrong (as it so often is), because I really hope I'm wrong, but I think I figured out why the education secretary attacked a bunny last week.

I was reading this article today and came to realize a few things: (1) Democrats (e.g. Rep. George Miller) are pissed that Bush didn't fully fund NCLB; they are very likely to oppose its expansion to high schools. (2) Moderate Republicans (yes, I think there still are some, e.g. Mike Castle) are, at worst, lukewarm about the idea and will probably go along with it. (3) So who will the administration -- specifically Margaret Spellings -- have to convince to get NCLB expanded? You got it. Conservatives.

Which makes last week's tribute to absurdity a lot more understandable. That was probably the first of several overtures to the right wing nuts to butter them up before she starts cold calling for votes. But what else will she have to do, or give, to make sure that House conservatives play ball? I'll give you a hint: if you need to make a quick buck, develop an abstinence only sex ed program. And could school prayer be on the menu, too? Oooh, the possibilities are endless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares