Thursday, November 04, 2004

A thought provoking column on NCLB

Last week, I linked to, and commented on, a column by Washington Post columnist Marc Fisher. Here's a rebuttal by Jay Mathews. I don't agree that portfolios can't work with low income students (which he suggests) or that testing really does improve learning, but still, I think Mathews makes many relevant points. I hope he's right about Congress's ability to wisely and effectively amend NCLB in the coming session. Only time will tell and, for some reason, I'm skeptical.

(By the way, the Post -- and many other newspapers -- require registration in which you must give all sorts of personal information. To avoid this, go to bugmenot.com when you reach a login screen. Just enter the website you want access to and it'll automatically generate a login name and password. It's a very useful service -- and no, it doesn't require registration.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny D. said...

I'm with you on the testing, mostly. We have to test because otherwise it's to damn easy just to say everyone is learning and then not have them learn.

On the other hand, test prep can be a barrier to teaching and learning.

I'm still thinking about it. I'm adding you to my links (not that the incredible traffic on my blog will do anything for you, but so it goes).

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares